Ingredients for making Galician octopus
2.5 kg octopus
5 medium potatoes
Instructions for preparing Galician octopus
- Run the octopus under plenty of cold water to clean it thoroughly.
- In a pot bring unsalted water to a boil. Hold the octopus by the top and, when the water starts to boil, put it in the pot, take it out immediately and repeat. This is known as ‘scaring’ the octopus and it’s how we prevent the skin from falling off during cooking.
- Let the octopus cook for about 35 or 40 minutes over medium heat. From from time to time check its hardness with a fork. Peel, wash and chop the potatoes, this doesn’t have to be perfect.
- When the time is out, turn off the heat and leave the octopus in the pot for three or four more minutes. Then place it in a dish. Add the chopped potatoes in the pot with the remaining water from the boiled octopus and let them cook for 15 minutes.
- Cut the octopus using kitchen scissors. Cut the legs into 1 cm round thick pieces and the head into smaller ones.
- Serve on a wooden plate. First, place the potatoes and then the octopus on the top. Add coarse salt, sprinkle with paprika and drizzle with Treurer’s extra virgin olive oil.